Nintendo has finally served up a release date for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. It looks like the ball is in our court sooner than we thought.
Thanks to a new image posted on Nintendo’s Facebook page today, the company has confirmed that Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is headed our way on November 20th. Less than two months!
The new entry in the Mario Tennis series was first revealed back at E3 during the Nintendo Direct presentation. Here are the list of features Nintendo is touting for their next sports outing:
- Compete with friends in the multiplayer Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game on the Wii U system.
- Play against friends and family in multiplayer matches.
- Play against friends and family in both singles (1v1) and doubles (2v2) matches as your favorite Mushroom Kingdom character.
- Control your character’s every movement on the court, using precise timing and the correct shot to outwit your opponent.
- Use the new Jumpshot technique to return shots like never before.
- In Mega Battles, get the Mega Mushroom to gain a “big” advantage over your competition.
- New characters make their Mario Tennis debut.
If you’re reading it like I’m reading it, there actually doesn’t appear to be much to get excited about here. Outside of the core experience in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, nothing else of substance is worth noting. An online option doesn’t even appear to be possible for multiplayer matches, a feature which Wii Sports implemented for its Tennis game quite a while ago.
Singles and Doubles matches, new characters, a new “Jumpshot technique”, and the ability to “gain a “big” advantage” via a Mega Mushroom are the features we should be hyped about. Meh. At least Nintendo has given this title a bit of a discount, setting it at a MSRP of $49.99.
We’ll have more coverage of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash as November 20th closes in. Hopefully this game won’t be the inferior tennis product on the Wii U…