A report coming from Kotaku (following up a forum post on NeoGAF) has revealed that the next Assassin’s Creed game, codenamed “Empires” will be releasing in 2017. The game will take players to ancient Egypt.
Kotaku’s Jason Schreier spoke with a person familiar with Ubisoft’s upcoming gaming plans and they told him that “the decision to delay Empire from fall 2016 was made after 2014’s disappointing Unity, and that this bump will allow the development team more room to improve and polish the game.” The source also told Schreier that this bi-annual approach could be a new trend for Assassin’s Creed, which has suffered from franchise fatigue in recent years.
With an Assassin’s Creed film in the works (scheduled for release December 21, 2016), I thought it would be a no-brainer for the company to release a new iteration of its long running franchise. However, after last year’s exceptional Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (you can read our review, here) It will be nice for the franchise to take a year off and come back fresh in 2017. Rumors also state the the game will have more of a Witcher feel to it. Meaning, there will be less traversal of buildings and more open-world exploration.
Don’t worry though. Even without a “core” entry in the Assassin’s Creed franchise coming this year, there’s still plenty to be had. Ubisoft will release the remaining two sidescrollers (India, Russia) in January and February. Ubisoft also recently registered the website domain “assassinscreedcollection.com,” which presumably refers to a compilation of older games. That could be a nice companion piece to the film this holiday season.
We’ve reached out to Ubisoft for comment and will update the story if they get back to us.
So, what do you think? Are you glad Assassin’s Creed is taking the year off? Do you care about the franchise anymore? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.