Take the following with a heavy dosage of salt. But NeoGAF is running wild today with the idea that Warner Bros. is actively beginning production on a Harry Potter RPG. The smoke is certainly there, but whether anyone’s saying “Incendio” is another story all together.
“An Exciting New AAA Game Project.”
The speculation stems from a job posting for the now Warner Bros. owned Avalanche Studios. Here is the Summary of Position:
“Warner Bros. Games Inc. seeks a Senior Writer for the Avalanche Story department. We are looking for a talented storyteller with a deep understanding of British culture and grammatical presentation. Applicants should be creative self-motivated problem solvers who enjoy collaborating with other writers and designers to create an immersive game narrative. If this is you, send us your resume and writing samples (both humor and drama represented) for consideration.”
And here are the job responsibilities said job would entail:
- Collaborate with the story and design team to develop compelling narratives.
- Provide British authenticity to the tone of the project.
- Research and play similar games to keep current on gaming trends.
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction from both the internal team and franchise representatives.
- Review product as necessary to help maintain on-brand messaging.
- Work with the cinematics team to keep the visual storytelling authentic and accurate.
- There are a few things that stand out here, and hint that we may in fact be dealing with a possible Harry Potter RPG. Asking for a ” talented storyteller with a deep understanding of British culture” is one. Also, the applicant hired would be asked to ” modify work based on direction from both the internal team and franchise representatives.” So yeah, the job is for an established British franchise.
The job posting goes on to ask that applicants exhibit ” Work that shows a deep understanding of gaming narrative and branching storytelling, particularly in the realm of RPGs.” So whatever is in development is likely in the RPG genre. And it’s also worth nothing that Avalanche is classifying the game as “an exciting new AAA game project.”
Is the game actually a Harry Potter RPG? We don’t know. And likely won’t for many, many months. The idea is exciting, and has the folks over at NeoGAF a buzz with excitement.